Saturday, June 13, 2020

Sherlock Mail!

I got some mail!! It's from England and it took the slow boat to get here but... I now know why!

You see the label on the envelope? And the smushie address??

Well... my postal code was legible which gives the posties our block area... and some Sherlock Postie figured out that maybe it belonged to me! Cause the street address was pretty water-damaged but... the Postie figured out the street... and a possible number.

Excellent work Sherlock Postie!!

As for the mail itself... ooohhh... this is a nice card!

And a nice pic of Stalin...

And another card addressed to Sherlock Sandy!! The Case of the Missing Bullion!

I will be right back!!!

Goodness... Sherlock Sandy has been getting a lot of cases lately!

Let's see...
"Hercule Poirot is now on
   the case,
 In search of lost bullion, he's
   making the chase.
The shape of a heptagon,
   the coin must be found,
Two to a sovereign* (that
   coinage is round!)

*nominally

Oh wow... I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap... a heptagon... hmm... Let's see... a pentagon is 5-sided... hexagon is 6-sided... octagon is 8-sided... dodecagon is... 12 sided? Hmmm... research is required... (Sherlock Sandy consults Wikipedia)... an 11-sided shape is a hendecagon, a 10-sided shaped is a decagon...a 9-sided shape is a nonagon... and... what's missing?? Oh, a 7-sided shape is a... heptagon!!! Yay!!! OK... I am looking for a 7-sided coin, two of which make a sovereign coin... which has a value of £1. Well... I know that already... it's a 50p coin! I wonder if it is a heptagon? Or if this is some ancient coin I am looking for??? Let me rummage...

Yes... Sherlock Sandy has a treasure chest... let me just look...

Ah-hah! Here is the bag with English coins...

Heptagon shape... hmmm...

Oh, well, here's the £1 coin and unlike the gold sovereign coin (which is round), the £1 looks round...

But is really a... hmmm... how many sides is that??

...7... 8... 9... 10... 11... 12!!

The current £1 coin is a dodecagon... whew...

I didn't know that... now I do! And... as you notice, the £1 coin is now bi-metallic and... it apparently has a secret anti-counterfeiting thingie in it... cool!

Oh, hello... what's this? It's a heptagon!!

But it's only a 20p coin...

Ah-hah!! Finally... a 50p coin! And a very good example of a heptagon...

See...

This clue in the Case of the Missing Bullion has been solved! And I now need to go pee... all this talk of 20p... 50p... sigh...

4 comments:

  1. Excellent!!! The third and final clue shall go in the mail to you next week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Sherlock sandy. Sherlock postie sure did a good job too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too! They did have a couple of options for the house number (guessed the correct street)... but I think they should get a gold star for that...

      Delete