Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Traipsing around Victoria

Hullo! Today we are having a look around downtown Victoria. I am still on the hunt  for art-deco buildings and have a few on my radar.

But, I have to say, these buildings are quite nice too - kind of that old-time look.

Beary cool....

And there too.... but not art deco...

Let's head out!

Oh goodnes.... look at these baskets of pansies blooming... hmmm... I know a few little bears (Jerry & Ben) who would NOT be impressed with this. Maybe instead of a Drool Alert, I should have a Flower Alert?

I came across this cute pink building. It is Customs House and was built in 1874... apparently it is Empire Style...

And it looks like this one is getting a complete gut job and refit!

 Oh... I see a building coming up!

But first I stopped to say Hello to this sailor...

He sure has a lot of medals...

And then I saw this one of a little girl welcoming her Daddy home!

Ohhhh... look what's in his bag!

I checked with Bob T. Bear and he agreed this is his great great great uncle Percival! Hi Percival!

 That's a nice sailor to have given Percival a ride... wonder what his name is?

Ah... Bloggins. Hello Sailor Bloggins!

And... we're here... This is the Info Centre and the tower is art deco! Of course... other than the tower, it's kind of hard to tell...

Apparently the tower was built in 1931 with "a 10 million candle power Sperry Beacon, intended as a navigational aid for float planes approaching Victoria’s Inner Harbour at night, which could seen up to 100 kilometers (60 miles) away. The Sperry Beacon is still in place." Cool.

Believe it or not... it was built as a gas station!! Neat...


And there is a nice Orca statue out front too...

Here's a frontal shot... I like the blue they've incorporated...

Now... where to next?

6 comments:

  1. That tower looks a bit like the Empire State Building in New York....... which is also art deco, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beacon for seaplanes that was a former gas station. Very cool. Where is the next adventure?

    ReplyDelete