Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Mystery Object

We went to the beach!

It's so nice down here.

Lots of neat logs to climb.

And my humans even brought a snack! Hummous and veggies... along with fresh tomatoes from the garden.

Bu then... I found this weird thing while I was poking around the logs...

It's this roundish green thing...

What do you think?? Any ideas?

We are all perplexed by it... it's kind of hard...

Mama suggested that I take a bite out of it but... I'm not that silly.

I'm pretty sure we have a pocket knife in here... don't we? No... we don't. Sigh.

Maybe there's something in the first aid kit? Ah yes... there is!

It's Mama's pen knife from when she was a kid... seriously... this is like a little bear sized knife!

I don't wield knives but... Mama took a slice off and... ewwwww... the black bits are full of worms... ick!

But then... there is something else in there!!!

It's a walnut!

Oooh... there must be a walnut tree nearby.... oohhhh....

Over there... somewhere... I better go investigate.

Good thing I went to the arboretum a few weeks back. They had a walnut tree there so I will know what one looks like!

Uh-huh... I think that's a likely candidate.

Let's go check it out.

Yup... those are walnut leaves for sure.

But I only see those green things way up there...

But there are some on the ground!

This is so cool! I am going to gather some up...

There we go... this is a all a big experiment... we'll see how things go with these... how easy they are to peel and stuff.

 Cause... the truth is... it's a Black Walnut... and Mama found that out after she peeled a couple dozen of those things at home. Her fingers got died a deep dark brown!! hahahahha!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, a walnut tree. We have an almond tree in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My human used to live in a house with lots of walnut trees in the backyard, so those are a familiar sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know they make a really great dark brown die too?? The green hulls...

      Delete
  3. Walnuts! Ben would love to find a tree like that; walnuts in cookies and brownies sure are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnuts are super yummy... the ones we picked have been sitting now for two weeks so it might be time to taste test them.

      Delete