Saturday, October 10, 2026

Mouse Mail and Missing Bullion

 Hullo! We received some mail today!

Can you read it?? It's addressed to Sherlock Sandy, Dr. Cocoa Watson, and Inspector Navy Lestrade!!

It's addressed to meeeeee!!!

AND meeeee!!!!

Alright... let's examine the envelope for clues...

Um... Sandy... what's on your face???


What? These?? These are my new Sherlock Sandy glasses! Every distinguished investigator needs reading glasses... don't you agree??

Anyhow... let's see what we have...

Oooo, our latest prize in the Case of the Missing Bullion!

And a chatty letter from the mice on a string of post cards!

We know a certain dwagon who will love this card...

Right Dilly the 'Wagon?

And... there's a clue for another Missing Bullion!

Let's see...

A circular coin of silver and gold
Of a Victorian inventor, designs quite bold
To start with the father
Usurped by the son
And saw English travel by steam unfold.
Who is he?? Or more to the point
Who are they?! 

Hmmm....

Alright... what do you guys think??? 

Well, it's pretty obvious although I can just remember his first name. That name shows up in a trilogy by the famous mystery writer Edith Parageter (Ellis Peters). Mama says she read a lot of her books including the Cadfael series!

Oh I know the middle name!!! It's pretty easy... Kingdom! Although what his parents were thinking when they named him that... anyone's guess.

And I think I know his last name cause we have friends in Manitoba with that last name. Wonder if they are related way way back?

So... put it all together and we think it's Isambard Kingdom Brunel! And his father Marc Isambard Brunel... (and the Kingdom is from his mum's maiden name... OK then.)

 Let's find a pic of the coin... There we go... they were brilliant chaps those two!

2006 Elizabeth II 'The 200th Anniversary of the Birth of Isambard Kingdom  Brunel' Achievements £2 Coin | The Royal Mint

 

6 comments:

  1. Correct name....... but wrong coin image!!!! Similar with the Shakespeare commemoratives, there were two different coins but we'll send over the bullion anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (one was for Brunel the man, the other for his achievements. I didn't know this myself!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, had I known, I'd have written the clue differently!!! So it's kind of on me, that one! And they're both buried at Kensal Green cemetery too.... did you know?

      Delete
    2. I had seen somewhere that they are buried at Kensal Green! Never been to that one... other than the Catholic bit, but not the "real" one.

      Delete