Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Wasp Nest

Sooo... this past summer, we noticed all sorts of wasps flying in and out of this deck box, right by the handle... We taped it off but... then they started flying underneath it... It's now December and... I thought that we should maybe... you know... investigate what is actually in the deck box... Who wants to go first?

Alright... alright... I'm a brave bear... I'll like... lift up the lid a bit... It's December right? And cold out... they should be gone... I hope...

Uhhhh....

On second thought... I think I'm much more suited to supervising (and calling 911 if required)...

Whoa.... that is one huge wasp nest!!!

And yes... they are all gone (whew!).. this thing is bigger than my head!

And down in the bottom... they were building another one...

I have to admit... it is beary pretty...

And all made out of cellulose fibers, chopped from our cedar fence and then spit out again by the queen... wowwwww....

7 comments:

  1. Beary brave bear! The next is kinda of neat, much like a sculpture--we're glad, though, that there are no wasps left in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad wasps don't make honey. My grandma and grandpa had a huge beehive and tons of honeycomb removed from their home's exterior wall some time ago. Should have invited all of our little bear friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, lucky you! I'll let you know if we ever find a slab of bacon that fell off the back of a truck in a back alley!

      Delete
  3. Wow.. I've never seen a wasp nest before. It would be a different situation if there was a beehive there...

    ReplyDelete