Vancouver

Vancouver

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Post Script to Mushrooms and Bear Surgery

I had commented on one of the last few blogs about a bleeding mushroom...

Here's a pic of one Mama found 10 years ago (in the Middle Ages). It's called Hydnellum peckii - also called Bleeding Tooth Fungus and Devil's Tooth. Not poisonous but... not sure I would eat it either! Isn't it cool???

That's so long ago.... she was still using a film camera sometimes!!

Oh... and a pic of Gramma when she was a young seamstress in training... just to prove I don't go under the needle without requesting some serious credentials!

Hmmm... not too shabby. Now if I only wore dresses, she could make all my clothes!


10 comments:

  1. That mushroom looks BEARY suspicious Sandy... I am not sure if I would want to eat that!

    That is a great B&W picture... does your Gramma take orders for custom-made little bear clothing? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine eating that mushroom either... it would make a great prop for Halloween though.

      Gramma says she no longer sews little bear outfits... sigh... I've tried and tried and pestered her and thrown a tantrum on the floor but she stares at me like I'm got fluff for brains. Oh well... at least she keeps me supplied with salmon!

      Delete
  2. I am with Ajdin, that Mushroom looks beary suspicious. I hate to admit I only get my mushrooms from the grocery store....maybe I need to be a little more adventurous, especially since I think Fall is a good season for mushroom hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er yes... the mushroom is super suspicious looking. Did you know that the state mushroom of Oregon is the chanterelle???? They are relatively easy to identify as long as you know the characteristics you are looking for... And the wet fall season is definitely the time for chanterelles.

      Delete
  3. Even if those mushrooms are fine to eat, those evil-sounding mushroom names don't make them sound very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I don't think they are "fine" to eat. They just aren't poisonous... and I think the official description is "unpalatable", which means it probably tastes like old socks or has a yucky texture.

      Delete
  4. We'd have to make sure to take a forrest and mushroom walk only with your mom; we'd have no idea what ones were good or bad to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that walk would have to be on the west coast cause those are the mushrooms that she knows bestest!

      Delete
  5. Always a good idea to check credentials of our bearsonel seamstress/designers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beary true... if I was really persnickety, I would have asked for a resume!

      Delete