Friday, August 28, 2015

Cooking with Gramma

Oh, hullo again! We got a nice haul of mushrooms... and now it's time to process them.

Gramma cut off most of the yucky bits out in the woods, but there's always a bit more that has to come off.

 Mmm... don't they look good? Gramma's going to fry them up in a bit of butter with some spices.

She asked me if I would like some salmon with dinner! Would I??? Of course!!

First you have to clean the salmon...

Oh look... Gramma has a picture of Rusty on her fridge. Rusty passed away before Christmas. She was such a good dog!

Alright... salmon is nice and clean... now we need to fillet it.

Whoa... Gramma sure moves that knife quick! It's just a blur. I think I'll step back a pace or two...

First the little fin thing behind the head comes off...

And then you slice it down the back...

Voila... fillet of salmon. Oh... and in case anyone wants to know... these were sort of back alley salmon. A friend of a friend heard Gramma was looking for salmon... heh-heh...

We are going to eat these pieces for dinner. Yum!!! And the rest...

We are going to smoke them! First, we make up the brine... and then the salmon get to sluice around in that for 12 hours.

Then we pop them in the smoker...

And change the hickory wood chips every once in a while.

While that's going on... Mama roped Gramma into helping us with my Halloween costume. I'm sure Jerry & Ben will be hosting their annual contest this year and... I want to be prepared.

What's it going to be??? Well... you'll just have to wait and see!

And... while my back was turned... I was snatched up and tossed over Gramma's knee so she could sew my pants back on. They've been flopping loose on one side and I was campaigning for suspenders but... sigh... the indignities that a little bear has to suffer sometimes!

10 comments:

  1. Hey, not every stuffie has a seamstress on 24-hour call. Consider yourself lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point... That's apparently why my pants have been hanging low on my hips for the last few months!

      Delete
  2. It's especially nice to have a bearsonal costume designer and tailor all rolled into one special Gramma!

    So glad you thought to step back away from the salmon ninja's knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is beary true! At least she's not as reckless with her needle and scissors as she appears to be with that knife!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you are already thinking about the Halloween contest, you are definitely on top of things. I see some Camouflage fabric, is that part of your costume or is Gramma doing contract sewing for Droopy?

    The mushrooms with butter and spices sounds delicious. I have to admit I am always afraid to buy a whole salmon at the grocery store but you Gramma sure made it look easy to filet it. I might have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a beary keen eye. That camouflage piece came from Droop... but I'm not revealing anything more yet.

      Whole salmon works well if you have guests over... or you could bake the whole dang thing and then use the left-over cooked stuff to make salmon spread for sandwiches (beary yummy).

      Delete
  4. You are a lucky bear! You have a personal chef and a personal seamstress! We can't wait to see your Halloween costume. I don't have any ideas for a costume yet..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a super lucky bear! Now if only Gramma lived closer to us. Sigh. You have no ideas for a costume?? You have a whole store devoted to your size of clothing... although, I do think the judges favour home-made costumes!

      Delete
  5. Cooking? Baking? Sewing? That' it! WE are adopting your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK! I will let her know that she has two more little bears who adore her and think she is the bestest!

      Delete