Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Adventure with a Capital "A"!

Today I am off on a Grand Adventure... a hike to Ammonite Falls. I am beary excited because I've been wanting to do this hike forever... and today is the day!

First it's a bit of a hike along an old logging road...

The trail is actually quite well sign-posted now... a few years ago it was beary hard to find...

And... we're off!

Oooh... we're getting into some tall trees here. Nice.

There's a split in the road but... the signs tell me to go right.

And here, the trail peels off from the old road... again, beary well sign-posted.

I like the forest here - it's beary quiet and peaceful with lots of birds chirping.

A few little obstacles...

And crossing another logging road.

Looks like there's some active logging off in the distance.

These horsetail ferns are almost a forest in and of themselves for a little bear... kind of like the Jurassic period!

Ummm... bit of a tangle of trails here... let's see...

That trail goes somewhere but not sure where... maybe next time.

I can hear a waterfall!

First we do a little scramble down this slope... there is a rope there to help in muddy conditions...

I see a waterfall!!!

Eh? Trail Closed? Steep and Hazardous Terrain?? I read about this... this is where the Capital "A"" Adventure kicks in...

Cause I'm up here... the waterfall is down there and...

The only way down is a scramble down this muddy slope... but there are a bunch of ropes there... so let's see...

Whee!!

OK... I think I have bear bum rope burn... ouch... But... I'm down!

Thank goodness for that rope!

And here we are... there isn't a tonne of water flowing cause it was... ahem... cough... early June... hrrmmm... when we went but... it's still beary pretty.

I imagine it's even nicer in early spring.

Although... maybe in the summer it warms up enough to go swimming? Maybe?

Do you think there are fish in there?

Nice hike... now I just have to get back up that slope... wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, impressive work by Mama for holding onto you and roping down there! Did you get muddy at all? Time for a bath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a beary fun day and hike!!

    ReplyDelete