Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Poppy for a Little Bear

Hullo. Remembrance Day is coming up (Nov 11) and it's a big deal up here in Canada. Everyone wears a poppy and I wanted to wear one too. The only problem is... they aren't really little bear size.

I do rather look like I have a target on me... Plus... ours has a long straight pin that is guaranteed to poke holes in fingers... and likely into my belly! Not a great idea. But... last year when I was in London at this time of year... I saw different poppies.

This is what a standard UK poppy looks like. I think it's made out of paper and they must have a pin behind with a clasp. Much better than our straight pins.

 But even more exciting than that... they sell little lapel pins!! In all sorts of styles! Soooo... I made Mama shell out £2 and buy one.


See... hmmm.... kind of fuzzy.

See!!! Last year was the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI so this one commemorates that.

It fits perfectly on my bomber jacket lapel.

Now I won't feel so under-dressed when I go out.

Oh... and on the other label is a pin I dug out of the archives... It commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Geological Survey of Canada (that was back in 1992... so we're at 173rd anniversary now). But... I'm a bit lopsided with only one lapel pin so this balances me nicely!


10 comments:

  1. cool pins Sandy! you look beary handsome in your bomber jacket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ajdin! I think pretty much anyone looks cool in a bomber jacket.

      Delete
  2. WhT a sweet little bear you are, you look splendid in your Poppies xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very sharp for Remembrance Day. The Canadian Geological Survey is a much older organization that ours, I learn so much from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? Hmmm... I just looked it up and you're right, they are beary young! Relatively speaking of course. I learn a lot from your comments.

      Delete
    2. Good point, in regards to geological time both agencies are beary young.

      Delete
  4. The pin looks great Sandy, especially on your jacket! But then again, little bears always do look rather sharp and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do. Unless of course, there are no new 2015 fashions... which it looks like there aren't. I haven't found any new Christmas outfits here... nor have my spies in Vancouver or Pr. George (the town... not the heir to the throne). Sigh... there are so many possible outfits... an RCMP little bear would be super cool. Or a lumberjack outfit...

      Delete