Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Trip to Watership Down

I got to go for a hike one morning... or a walk... but for a little bear any walk is like a hike! It was frosty out which makes for pretty photos...

This little bramble leaves looked beary cute.

Daisy was still visiting us at that point...

I found this sign lying on the ground... hmmm....

That doesn't sound good!! But Mama says it just blew off a truck from the highway so.. Ok...

Doesn't the frost look pretty on the grasses? That's an apple orchard behind me... they make apple cider, which is supposed to be super yummy...

Hey!! Do you see that?? I was walking across a bridge and there was this funny thing sticking out of a tree....

Heh-heh... it was a raccoon! Isn't he cute! He was more concerned about Daisy I think... I don't know if they have them in Europe although I do recall hearing that a few escaped from a zoo in Germany and were terrorizing the neighbourhood. In German, these little guys are called a Waschbär... can you translate that?? It means Wash Bear! I guess because they look like little bears (???with that tail??) and they wash their food...

I sat by the stream and relaxed for a bit in the sun... quiet time is important for little bears.

See the pretty icicles on the grasses... it was a coolish morning for sure.

And the sun was pretty through the trees as well.

A bit farther on, I saw a spot of white in a huge bramble/blackberry patch. Can you figure out what that is? Me either...

Turns out it was a rabbit! 

And it wasn't the only one... there are tonnes of rabbits in this one area... they look like domesticated rabbits so someone probably released some and now... well... they're breeding like rabbits!

I wanted to go and explore in the bramble patch to say "hello"... but Mama said the brambles are pretty nasty and my new hoodie might get thrashed... and if I got stuck in there, well... who was going to come and rescue me?

Ah well... I am calling this area Watership Down cause of the book... It's nice to name different places with a name that means something... and Watership Down sounds much better than "the rabbit place"...

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Sandy. Have you ever read the book Little Rascal? It's about a boy and his pet racoon, you might like it! P.S. Ben is wearing his kitchen apron all the time, even to bed! Jerry thinks it's a sign that he really likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm... nope, don't think I've read that book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I'm glad Ben likes his apron! I hope it keeps his spiffy outfits nice and clean while he is baking!

      Delete
  2. beautiful photos! you got beary close to the raccoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes... he was kind of stuck in one spot and the camera zoom helped a bit too!

      Delete
  3. Be beary careful out there. You are quite the adventurer dealing with racoons, rabbits, and blackbeary patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be super careful... It's amazing what I can find when I keep my eyes peeled...

      Delete
  4. With that tail, the raccoon looks more like he's related to a
    Red Panda. The Red Panda is not-a-bear, and according to the link below he's not-a-raccoon either. But I think he looks a lot like one minus the little bandit mask.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he looks cute!! He's also called a Red Cat-Bear which is kind of cute too. He does look a bit like a raccoon with that ringed tail.

      Delete